Friday, July 15, 2016

An Anthem For Our Time



Early this week a memorial service was held for the Dallas law enforcement officers slain on July 7 while shepherding a protest demonstration. President Barack Obama and former President George W. Bush were both in attendance.  Both spoke eloquently. President Obama took on the difficult task of weaving together the tragedies of both the slain officers and the African American men, whose deaths at the hands of police had prompted the demonstration, and placing them in the context of the larger historical tragedy of American racism. I thought he did well at that. But the speaker who touched me most deeply was Dallas Police Chief David Brown, who held the podium for just five minutes. In that brief moment he gave me an example of simple grace and unadorned humanity that I shall never forget.




You owe it to yourself to take six minutes to watch Chief Brown's address, but if not, here's a transcript:
When I was a teenager, and started liking girls, I could never find the right words to express myself.  And after a couple of words they'd just walk away leaving me figuring out, "What do I need to do to get a date?"  And so being a music fan of 1970's rhythm and blues love songs, I put together a strategy to recite the lyrics to get a date.

So for girls I liked I would pull out some Al Green or some Teddy Pendergrass or some Isley Brothers and I'd recite the lyrics to their love songs.  But for people I loved--if I fell in love with a girl, oh I had to dig down deep and get some Stevie Wonder to fully express the love I had for them (for the girl).

So today, I'm going to pull out some Stevie Wonder for these families.

So families, close your eyes and just imagine me back in 1974 with an Afro and some bell bottoms and a wide collar:
We all know sometimes life's hates and troubles
Can make you wish you were born in another time and space
But you can bet your lifetimes that and twice it's double
That God knew exactly where he wanted you to be placed
So make sure when you say you're in it, but not of it
You're not helpin' to make this earth
A place sometimes called hell
Change your words into truths
And then change that truth into love
And maybe our children's grandchildren
And their great grandchildren will tell
I'll be loving you until the rainbow burns the stars out of the sky

I'll be loving you until the ocean covers every mountain high
I'll be loving you until the dolphin flies and parrots live at sea
I'll be loving you until we dream of life and life becomes a dream
I'll be loving you until the day is night and night becomes the day
I'll be loving you until the trees and seas just up and fly away
I'll be loving you until the day that eight times eight times eight is four
I'll be loving you until the day that is the day that are no more
I'll be loving you until the day the earth starts turnin' right to left
I'll be loving you until the earth just for the sun denies itself
I'll be loving you until dear mother nature says her work is through
I'll be loving you until the day that you are me and I am you

Now ain't that loving you?
Until the rainbow burns the stars out of the sky.
Ain't that loving you?
Until the ocean covers every mountain high.
And I've got to say I'll be loving you always.
I'll be loving you always.

And there's no greater love than this, that these five men gave their lives for all of us.

Chief Brown then introduced President Obama, who acknowledged the presence of President George W. Bush and other dignitaries, concluding with Brown himself, and ad libbed:  "I'm so glad I met Michelle first, 'cause she loves Stevie Wonder." 

I used to love Stevie Wonder too--"Isn't She Lovely?" is one of the first songs that leapt to mind when Chloe was born--but I did not recognize the song that Chief Brown quoted.  I googled a phrase and quickly learned it was "As," from Stevie Wonder's 1976 album Songs in the Key of Life.  I downloaded the song and realized that I did know it after all.  It hurtled back to me from another lifetime forty years ago when, aside from the Afro, I dressed a lot like Chief Brown.

And somehow, listening to "As" again, this time in the context in which Chief Brown had used it--to comfort desolate families at a memorial service for five martyred officers--the song suddenly seemed a shout of defiance at all the haters who are trying to drown us all in hate.

The song runs a little over seven minutes, but do yourself a favor and take time to listen to it.  The song as originally recorded is here, but I recommend this live performance at a concert in Java, Indonesia, in 2012:








Note:  For the purposes of the memorial service, Chief Brown re-arranged the order of the song's lyrics.  Here are the actual lyrics:

As around the sun the earth knows she's revolving
And the rosebuds know to bloom in early May
Just as hate knows love's the cure
You can rest your mind assured
That I'll be loving you always
As now can't reveal the mystery of tomorrow
But in passing will grow older every day
Just as all that's born is new
You know what I say is true
That I'll be loving you always
(Until the rainbow burns the stars out in the sky)
Always
(Until the ocean covers every mountain high)
Always
(Until the dolphin flies and parrots live at sea)
Always
(Until we dream of life and life becomes a dream)
Did you know that true love asks for nothing
No no her acceptance is the way we pay
Did you know that life has given love a guarantee
To last through forever and another day
Just as time knew to move on since the beginning
And the seasons know exactly when to change
Just as kindness knows no shame
Know through all your joy and pain
That I'll be loving you always
As today I know I'm living
But tomorrow could make me the past
But that I mustn't fear
For I'll know deep in my mind
The love of me I've left behind
'Cause I'll be loving you always
(Until the day is night and night becomes the day)
Always
(Until the trees and seas just up and fly away)
Always
(Until the day that eight times eight times eight is four)
Always
(Until the day that is the day that are no more)
Did you know you're loved by somebody
(Until the day the earth starts turnin' right to left)
Always
(Until the earth just for the sun denies itself)
I'll be lovin' you forever
(Until dear mother nature says her work is through)
Always
(Until the day that you are me and I am you)
Always
(Until the rainbow burns the stars out in the sky
Until the ocean severs every mountain high)
Always mm mm
We all know sometimes life's hates and troubles
Can make you wish you were born in another time and space
But you can bet your lifetimes that and twice it's double
That God knew exactly where he wanted you to be placed
So make sure when you say you're in it, but not of it
You're not helpin' to make this earth
A place sometimes called hell
Change your words into truths
And then change that truth into love
And maybe our children's grandchildren
And their great grandchildren will tell
I'll be loving you until the rainbow burns the stars out in the sky
 


 

No comments: